TELECOMMUTE WITH RESTRICTIONS
Candidates must be located in INDIANA or OHIO.
Optum is a global organization that delivers care, aided by technology to help millions of people live healthier lives. The work you do with our team will directly improve health outcomes by connecting people with the care, pharmacy benefits, data and resources they need to feel their best. Come make an impact on the communities we serve as we help advance health equity on a global scale. Here, you will find talented peers, comprehensive benefits, a culture guided by diversity and inclusion, career growth opportunities and your life's best work.(sm)
The Nurse Case Manager I (NCM) is responsible for patient case management for longitudinal engagement, coordination for discharge planning, transition of care needs and outpatient patient management through the care continuum. Nurse Case Manager will identify, screen, track, monitor and coordinate the care of patients with multiple co-morbidities and/or psychosocial needs and develop a patients’ action plan and/or discharge plan. The Case Manager may perform telephonic and/or face-to-face assessments. They will interact and collaborate with interdisciplinary care team (IDT), which includes physicians, inpatient case managers, care team associates, pharmacists, social workers, educators, health care coordinators/managers. The Case Manager also acts as an advocate for members and their families linking them to other IDT members to help them gain knowledge of their disease process(s)and to identify community resources for maximum level of independence. The Case Manager will participate in IDT conferences to review care plan and member progress on identified goals and interventions. The Nurse Case Manager will act as an advocate for patients and their families guide them through the health care system for transition planning and longitudinal care. The Nurse Case Manager will work in partnership with the care team and will coordinate, or provide appropriate levels of care under the direct supervision of an RN Manager or MD.
If you are located in IN or OH, you will have the flexibility to work remotely* as you take on some tough challenges
- Provide patients with transition of care calls to ensure that discharged patients’ receive the necessary services and resources according to transition plan
- Conducts a transition discharge assessment onsite and/or telephonically to identify member needs at time of transition to a lower level of care
- Independently serves as the clinical liaison with hospital, clinical and administrative staff within our documentation system for discharge planning and/or next site of care needs.
- In partnership with care team, make referrals to community sources and programs identified for patients
- Engage patient, family, and caregivers telephonically to assure that a well-coordinated action plan is established and continually assess health status
- Assess and identify the healthcare, educational, and psychosocial needs of the patient and their family at the initial referral to care management
- Provide member education to assist with self-management goals, disease management or acute condition and provide indicated action plan
- Utilizing evidenced-based practice, develop interventions while considering member barriers independently
- Utilize motivational interviewing techniques to understand cause and effect, gather or review health history for clinical symptoms, and determine health literacy
- In consultation with manager of Care Management, conducts initial assessments within designated time frames for members identified as having complex case management needs (assessment areas include clinical, behavioral, social, environment and financial)
- Manages assessments regarding patient treatment plans and establish collaborative relationships with physician advisors, clients, patients, and providers
- Collaborates effectively with Interdisciplinary Care Team (IDCT) to establish an individualized transition plan and/or action plan for patients
- Independently confers with UM Medical Directors and/ or Market Medical Directors on a regular basis regarding high risk cases and participates in departmental huddles
- Ensure adherence to NCQA requirements for Complex Case Management
- Demonstrate understanding of utilization management processes
- Assists with data collection and closing of care gaps and quality metrics as assigned, and assists the healthcare team in meeting all of the quality metrics
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of all company products and services as well as customer issues and needs through ongoing training and self-directed research
- Manage assigned caseload in an efficient and effective manner utilizing time management skills
- Enters timely and accurate documentation into designated care management applications to comply with documentation requirements and achieve audit scores of 95% or better on a monthly basis
- Identifies opportunities for process improvement in all aspects of patient care
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Current, unrestricted RN license required, specific to the state of employment
- 3+ years of clinical experience
- Reside in Indiana or Ohio
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing
- Certification in Case Management (CCM)
- Experience with Complex Case Management and DSNP NCQA requirements
- Managed care and/or case management experience
- Experience working with geriatric patient populations
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged and high-performing teams to help solve important challenges.
*All employees working remotely will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone-of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income-deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes - an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.