The Associate Medical Director is a member of the leadership team and responsible for the quality, cost, and service levels of health care provided by the Outpatient Division. This position works closely with the Medical Director/Sr. Medical Director and dyad Directors of Clinical Operations to direct, manage, and evaluate Outpatient practice operations. This position is also responsible for planning, implementing, and monitoring activities in direct support of patient satisfaction, quality improvement, utilization, and quality management. This position is 70 percent clinical outpatient and 30 percent administrative.
- Provide leadership and communication for physician leaders, physicians, and clinical staff.
- Responsible for effective interviewing, selection, orientation, development, wellness, and retention of Outpatient Medicine providers. Accountable for Provider and Patient Experience.
- Partner with medical management staff to promote clinical process improvement and access enhancement; work with operations team to improve operations at clinic level and patient experience.
- Ensure effective quality assurance and risk management processes.
- Ensure appropriate utilization of resources and provider education.
- Ensure customer satisfaction and compliance with regulatory standards.
- Ensure cost-effective delivery of healthcare within Outpatient practice management operations.
- Ensure that all NCQA and other accreditation standards are met; ensure compliance with accurate coding and documentation standards, STAR, HEDIS measures.
- Ensure ongoing professional medical management development programs.
- Establish a direct relationship with key departments, including pharmacy, underwriting, medical adjudication, claims, and provider relations, and assist with issues and/or concerns.
- Actively engage in driving Medicare Advantage growth and quality performance for assigned Outpatient locations.
- Must have an active and unrestricted medical license in the State of Arizona or ability to obtain prior to employment
- Board certification in a postgraduate clinical specialty
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Minimum 5 years of experience in Outpatient medicine
- 2-3 years of management experience and prior executive oversight experience in a clinical setting
- Experience in medical utilization management, medical quality assurance, quality improvement techniques, risk management, and compliance
- Extensive knowledge of primary care operations; strong knowledge of management practices, human relations, consensus building, and collaborative ability
- Must have strong oral and written communication techniques and be professionally respected by peers; leadership ability, demonstrated expertise in the primary care setting
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make the health system work better for everyone. So, when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices, or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high-performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter, Incredible ideas in one incredible company, and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: OptumCare is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
OptumCare is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.