Roper Rehabilitation Services (RRS) is searching for a Medical Director to provide clinical leadership to its 52-bed rehabilitation hospital and three outpatient locations. RRS provides inpatient rehabilitation care to approximately 1,200 inpatients and over 18,000 outpatient visits each year. The hospital is Joint Commission accredited and CARF certified in CVA, BI and SCI rehabilitation. In 2017, RRS will be expanding by adding 14 additional rehabilitation beds increasing the bed inventory to 66 beds.
RRS cares for patients with a wide array of conditions including: CVA, TBI, multi-trauma, hip fractures, neurological conditions and general deconditioning. Roper Hospital is located in downtown Charleston within the medical district. In addition to the three wholly owned RRS outpatient locations, Roper Saint Francis has joint ventured with ATI to operate 20+ outpatient clinics throughout the Lowcountry.
Roper Saint Francis Healthcare is a large, nonprofit healthcare services provider located in Charleston, SC. Currently, the system operates three acute care hospitals and a fourth hospital is under construction. The system operates a large physician practice network and other access points throughout the Charleston area.
The Medical Director oversees the medical staff and clinical care continuum of the rehabilitation service line while also providing clinical care to patients. The administrative duties of the Medical Director include but are not limited to:
- Rehabilitation Medical Director - works with medical staff to insure that appropriate specialists are available for consultation. Oversees the clinical function of the service line including inpatient and outpatient rehab programs. Works with the clinical managers to insure that the clinical care provided is efficient, comprehensive, compliant, and of high integrity.
- Peer Review- the Medical Director provides peer review services as needed.
- Quality and Performance Improvement- active participant in quality assurance and performance improvement initiatives of the service line.
- Manager- the Medical Director represents the medical staff in management functions including management meetings, retreats and budget preparation.
- Program Development- leads and supports the development of inpatient and outpatient programs with demonstrable need within the community. Serves as the medical voice for the entire service line.
- Regulatory Compliance- active participant in hospital Joint Commission/ CARF survey preparation, compliance with CMS regulations, SC Department of Health and Environmental Control regulations and other regulatory initiatives. Insures that RRS medical staff are in full compliance with CMS regulations and standards.
- Financial- Assists in budget preparation including RRS volume projections and capital budgeting.
- Educator- Assists with inservice education for RRS staff on clinical care related issues.
- Business Development- Actively supports the business development staff and program initiatives to assist in informing the public and other members of the medical community of RRS’ services. This includes appearing in public and at physician in-services to promote RRS. Works with Service Line Director to develop inpatient and outpatient programs that leverage the system’s strength and community presence.
The primary goals and objectives for the position are to:
- Partner with the Service Line Director to advance RRS’ position as the inpatient rehabilitation hospital and outpatient rehabilitation provider of choice in the Charleston area.
- Enhance the program’s patient satisfaction rankings to consistently perform in the 90th percentile.
- Work with clinical team to optimize facility PPS performance with indicators such as: FIM efficiency, FIM change and discharge to community.
- Work with the medical staff and other clinical departments to insure that cost effective healthcare is being delivered to all patients.
- Establish strong relationships throughout the Roper Saint Francis system as to improve the confidence and referral patterns to RRS.
- Develop a known and visible presence throughout Roper Saint Francis Healthcare and RRS. Develop a reputation for being accessible and approachable among the staff, patients and families.
The Medical Director should possess the following qualifications:
- Advanced medical training with MD or DO.
- At least 3 years of hospital based physiatry experience.
- Board Certification in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- South Carolina licensure to practice medicine
- Demonstrable experience with inpatient and outpatient program development.
- Regulatory experience including CARF and Joint Commission preparation.
- Previous medical staff management preferred.